We made it through day one today. We had some hard times, especially after his nap when he usually comes down, has milk and watches something. At one point he kept spinning in circles looking for the TV. He searched under the side table for the remotes. He gave out a couple random "eez"s (translation "please") and I'm sure I know what he was asking for. But we also did some fun stuff today. We played a lot with his play kitchen, which we put in place of the TV. We spent a lot more time listening to music, dancing and playing with instruments. Even though we did watch the Superbowl in the basement, I feel a lot calmer, and so good about our decision. I'm sure we'll have an adjustment period through this week or even month, but it's all for the best. Wish me luck!
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Pulling the Plug
We made it through day one today. We had some hard times, especially after his nap when he usually comes down, has milk and watches something. At one point he kept spinning in circles looking for the TV. He searched under the side table for the remotes. He gave out a couple random "eez"s (translation "please") and I'm sure I know what he was asking for. But we also did some fun stuff today. We played a lot with his play kitchen, which we put in place of the TV. We spent a lot more time listening to music, dancing and playing with instruments. Even though we did watch the Superbowl in the basement, I feel a lot calmer, and so good about our decision. I'm sure we'll have an adjustment period through this week or even month, but it's all for the best. Wish me luck!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Sarah,
ReplyDeleteWhat day are you on now? How's it going? We did our no-TV week when the kids were off of school. They fussed a bit, but then I think were happier finding other things to do. Mary likes TV, but always asks to go to the "ment" where there is no TV and more place to play (her dollhouse, play kitchen, Little people, and room to run are down there). She also loves to have a dance party with Erik and Laura (or mommy). Her favorite is the Newsboys CD Erik got for Christmas (best of). Her thing now is to say "Boys Ment" (listen to Newsboys in the basement). It sounds an awful lot like boys in the 'hood ?! Erik and Laura got big into Disney channel when we got extended cable in the fall. Although I love Tinkerbell, lots of those shows are junk and teach that parents are dumb, girls "love" boys, and other destructive things. We've told the kids that we are cutting off extended cable and putting the money towards a big screen tv and wii for the basement where we can have BIG FUN watching excellent movies and playing Wii. They were excited! I hope to pull the Disney plug today.
Jill